Prophecies of the Pattern is a heavily customized MUD based off of the Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan. It has a great and very helpful playerbase. If you are knowledgeable of the WoT series, you should feel very much at home here. If there is a certain group in the books, there is at least one, if not more, person in that certain group in game. The playerbase is from all over the world as well, and there are usually a few people on at anytime, prime hours being after dinner, est. I have been playing PotP since it started and have known most of the players since before the MUD began. There is not one person who doesn't try their best to make sure a new person feels at home. There are also extensive forums for the MUD and each guild. Each maintained by their current guild leader. All in all, i have been playing on this game since it opened and have not found anything not enjoyable about it. I would greatly recommend this game to anyone who is looking to getting into MUDding or anyone who is into the Wheel of Time series.
– MudConnector.Com Review (Archived) by on Sep 23, 2008
1. OOC channel stinks. No one ever seems to have cheerful or fun conversation, so it feels like you're inside a tomb. 2. RP guilds require OOC 'courtesies' to those who are of higher rank than you are. Another player observed that this seems to encourage 'power trips' from higher-ranked players. Certainly, there is more of a sense of ... stuffiness, and respect given to position than I have seen in other muds. As I have only one guilded character, in the White Tower, and I was barred from leveling anywhere that wasn't the White Tower, much of the rest of my review will focus on what I know about the mud. 3. The playerbase of the White Tower is fun, yet rigid in what they want. I was discouraged from playing my character because she did not fit to type. I was discouraged from experimenting with the edges of Ajahs. 4. Overall, the White Tower is a roleplay focused guild, and in that they do excellently -- provided you are not on during 9-12 EST. In that case, there are no Aes Sedai available to be roleplayed with, and you will be penalized through no fault of your own. 5. I have been repeatedly penalized for real-life troubles. This makes me believe that this mud would be better for those seeking escapism, and less good for those who are prone to real life difficulties, as little patience has been shown for job loss and other problems. 6. The guild, overall, seems remarkably responsive to their decreasing playerbase. Requirements have gotten so simple as to be easy to accomplish, and that is a good thing. I am heartbroken to be leaving this guild, and I would not wish any other players to share my fate. I do not recommend this mud, in any way shape or form.
– MudConnector.Com Review (Archived) by on Jun 25, 2008
– MudConnector.Com Review (Archived) by on Sep 23, 2008
When I first started this game I was new to MUDs, the Wheel of Time interested me, so I chose it as a starting MUD. I tried a few MUDs before this one, but only stayed on them for a few minutes, no-one wanted to help a newb... until I came to PotP. In PotP I was immediately welcomed, I felt at home. A player named Jalaki (whom I am now good friends with) gave my character a free set of eq, and fairly good eq at that, the mentors and other players who didn't have an obligation to, explained the game to me, helped me find a client (I was using telnet at the time - eep) and basically introduced me to MUDs! I've made friends in this mud I will never forget, and its all happened in only two years. If you want a good MUD, choose PotP; because it is the best.
Prophecies of the Pattern is the first mud I ever played, before it was even called Prophecies of the Pattern, and I keep coming back. It is based on The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The other players are very friendly. They have a group of Mentors which will come and answer any questions you have. There is almost always at least one available, of which one will come to you as soon as you create your character. There is a remort system in place which unlock more races and skills. Skills are not based on levels, but instead are based on having a prerequisite skill at 85%. There is lots of RP and lots to explore as well. There are also random treasure boxes that drop from mobs you kill, which if you unlock them you may find some wonderful equipment inside. There are lots of other features, so why don't you come try it out today.
– MudConnector.Com Review (Archived) by on Feb 5, 2006
Because Potp is based on the "Wheel of Time" Series by Robert Jorden, The world of Potp is build just like you can see on the maps of the books. It's gives you a great oppertunity to explore the world you love to read about. But don't be afraid, shouldn't you heard of the books yet or just don't like to read. That's no problem (myself started without knowledge of them, and started to read then since i joined :)), Potp is very newbiefriendly. It contains handy helpfiles, aswell as Mentors that are always ready to help you, aswell as the players itself. Whether you like Action or Roleplay, or both like me. No problem. The world is filled with mobs(npc's) that are waiting to be slaughtered by you! A good amount of skills and weapons are present for you to do the job :). Roleplay is certainly encouraged, You don't need to if you don't want, but certain guilds only offer progress with rp, while other give you the choice. It's all in your hands! Roleplay your way through the world with your character! Prophecies of the Pattern Immerse yourself in this magical world! Tharkun (player)
Well, first off all Prophecies of the Pattern is based on 'The Wheel of Time Series' by Robert Jordan. If you like the books i'm sure you going to love the mud! I started out here with no knowledge of the books, actually never even heard of them at that point. Now almost 10 months further, I have read the first five books of it. Why you say? Well, i think it says enough that you start reading books because you want to have a better experience on the mud. However you don't need to read the books to have alot fun here. Everything is well explained in helpfiles that are easy accesible, not to mention the mentors that are always willing to give you help. Newbie Friendly! Home to the explorers (this world is huge!). Heaven for the Roleplayers and lot of action for the levelers! mmm mmm mmm! PotP sure is DELICIOUS! Come and join us now!
– MudConnector.Com Review (Archived) by on May 16, 2005